Saturday, May 25, 2024

5-23 Nzulezo Stilt Village Part 1

 The biggest reason we are visiting the Takoradi area is so we can see the stilt village of Nzulezo. Several years ago we saw a similar one in  Vietnam ( I think).  Then we took a boat around it and took photos.  This time we are actually going to dock and enter the village.  I am very nervous about the whole thing.  

Years ago I almost fell into the water trying to get on a gondola in Venice and that is a modern city.  This is in rural Ghana.  I was very right to be trepidatious.  First we had to drive down a road that even Shadrack, our driver, was hesitant to drive on.  Shadrack has proven a gold mine in negotiating for a reduced price for us.  They need to cover the cost of taking the boat out no matter how many clients they have.  They asked for 800 cedi's he got it to 400.  If you have a lot more people it is less per person.  

Then we had to walk for several blocks on the road being careful of traffic to the entrance.  There is a board walk - with many missing planks that you have to walk to get to where the water is deep enough for the boat.  Getting into the boat was quite difficult - but I managed it with help.  The boat has a motor, but there were areas where the water was not deep enough and we slowed way down.  Every time the boat dipped right or left I cringed - positive I was going to end up in the water ruining my camera and phone.  I decided to concentrate on taking photos of the beauty I could see.



Lots of water lilies - none in bloom.

Reflections in the water next to our boat.


We wore life jackets for which I was very thankful.  But I never learned to swim, and being in a small boat, almost a canoe I was very nervous.

But then we arrived.


We pulled up to the dock and then I had to climb out of the boat and lift myself way up - Shadrack tried to help by gripping my left arm so hard I now have black and blue marks all over it.  I got onto the dock and then he tried to pull me upright - instead my left thigh muscle gave out completely and I fell into a heap on the dock.  I didn't have time to be embarrassed as I was in a lot of pain.  The village people just stared at the strange white lady.  I managed to pull myself to a stand and walk - I would pay for this later.  But for now - dam-it - I was going to see the village!



Looks like someone has been whitling.  

There is a main street where we walked.  Each side street houses a family of many members.

A lot of the buildings were grey metal sheeting - but some are colored.

The end product of the whitling - I should have asked what these were used for.

The patterns in the water were captivating.








I kept looking for color.  We were told not to take pictures of the people.  I tried to honor that - but it took away from the story.  Little children started following me and wanting to give me high-fives.  I know they were asking for money.  But they were very cute.  Some were naked.  I saw some slightly older children diving off  the docks and playing some kind of game in the water.

There were several "stores" where villagers could get basic needs.


To be continued...


2 comments:

  1. You took some lovely pictures, but I´m sorry the boat trip was such a challenge. I hope your bruises heal quickly :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. this takes the saying no pain to gain to another level

    ReplyDelete