Thursday, September 26, 2024

9-26 Ostia Antica Part II

 And we continue on with Ostia Antica.  


As I said in the first post - I am amazed at the tile floors.  I have been to Roman ruins in various countries - sometimes they only find 1 or 2 tiled floors - this is just so amazing that there are so many - I have only included a tiny amount of tiled floors that are here.


We were way up high when taking these photos.

Looking back I could see more of the site where they are still working.  I suspect there is a lot more here to be excavated.  








I somehow did not take a photo of the actual wall.



There are workers behind those barriers working on the dig.

And so we come to the coliseum.  

My tunnel entrance.

They still use this for  presentations.



So on the other side of the Colosseum there is a large area where there were buildings around a square - all with wonderfully tiled floors.  Of-course there may have been wonderful wall decorations or even ceiling decorations - but that is all gone.  I only am including a few of the tiled floors.












Then we head towards what they say is the oldest part of the city.

A representation of what it looked like at a point in time.  The red dot in the middle is where we are.  We started at the far right.  We are about two hours into our walk.


Some of the interesting areas are off limits.

And we will continue with Part III.


2 comments:

  1. this reminds me of the amazing tiled floors we saw in Sicily on that very rainy day

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing that so much is that had remained intact.

    ReplyDelete