Wednesday, September 18, 2024

9-18 Ortona - Exploring the Old Town

Today we divided and conquered.  Michael wanted to walk further into the town town to see if there were places for short term rentals over looking the sea.  I want to explore more of the side streets of the Old Town.  

We walked up Corso Vitoria Emanuele II - the main walking street through the Old Town.  He kept going so he could see the real town and I started on the side streets going back down.

First off - there are a whole lot more people here today - Wednesday.  Over the weekend and on Monday no one was here.

I believe I mentioned before - Ortona and much of the area around it was heavily damaged by the Germans during WWII.  For instance - the main cathedral - St Thomas - had to be totally rebuilt after the war.  There is not much left of the Medieval part of the old town.  

I am a level above the street we walked on earlier this week.  

A fence with flowers in front of one of the buildings.


I am a little further down the road one level up from the street we walked on earlier.  Up ahead you can see a parking area - and a road leading down towards the SS 16.

I head back into the old town.



This area has been rehabbed - I liked the bright orange scooter against the yellow building.

I saw several of these along the streets.  Yes - that is pet food and water in bowls underneath.  And sleeping quarters for cats.  Everyone in this town seems to have a dog.  Quite a bit of dog shit on the sidewalks.  I'm glad to see they also care for the cats.

A well-maintained and rehabbed area.


I am here around noon so the sun is at its harshest.  So sorry if it is hard to see.  The area on the left looks like the plot has never been redone after being bombed.  On the right is a sign that says you cannot enter here.




The wall in front of this empty plot was low enough for me to get this shot.  My imagination takes over - what it must have looked like before the destruction.



This building looks pretty old - I don't think I would want to step onto this balcony.

I finished my exploration of the old town around 12:30 and headed for the benches overlooking the sea.  I soon got a message from Michael - he was also done - We met at my bench.  His report was that there did not look like any place for short term rentals in that area of the town.  Short and sweet.  So we headed down the hill to the Urban Cafe.  We had checked out the menu a couple of days ago and wanted to try it.  

My best meal of this trip so far.  And it is North Carolina barbeque!!  Where is all the wonderful Italian food choices we have had in the past?  We have been going to tourist areas - which may explain the problem.

Michael got an Indian chicken bowl that he also enjoyed.




2 comments: