Monday, September 26, 2022

September 26 - Return to Cefalu

 Today, Monday, we are heading back to Cefalu.  I had hoped that my foot would be much better so I could avoid the wheel chair experience.  But it is still very swollen even though the black and blue spots are fading.  We did change which kind of service we needed which I think did help loosen the assistance ridged structure a little.

Neither of us slept as well as usually - as often happens on the morning of an early flight.  Rob drove us to the airport.  After check in we waited for assistance and were taken to a central waiting area - again going to the front of the security line.  Michael was able to go and buy us food.  There was a bathroom available close by.  I was wheeled to the gate - head of the line and then down the ramp.  Just having to walk onto the plane.  

At Zurich, there was an assistant waiting - but our gate and plane were exactly the same one we had been on.  We didn't even exit the gate area - but were seated behind the Swiss air service desk.  Only thing the bathroom was a long distance away - no wheelchair and a line waiting to use the toilets.  No wheelchair to get me to the head of the line.  I barely got back to the waiting area before it was time to board because I walk so slow.

At Palermo a wheel chair was waiting and it was great not having to do all that walking. They wheeled me right to the luggage carousal and also to the toilet down there.  We have an hour car ride from Palermo to Cefalu.  I was even wheeled into the parking area - but not quite all the way to our waiting car.  

Everything went smoothly and its great to be back in our home away from home.  The weather is so much warmer.  Renato had warned us that fall weather had arrived in Cefalu.  But compared to Coopenhagen it is down-right tropical!

2 comments:

  1. I know that some people who use a wheelchair cannot walk at all. I'm confused how they fly on airplanes, given the wheelchair experience you have had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you're still wearing shorts now or is it getting cooler?

    ReplyDelete