Monday, September 12, 2022

Sept 10 An Auspicious Evening

 The haze seems to be lifting - we can see actual puffy clouds in the sky tonight.  Our mission tonight is to head for Old Town in search of the perfect magnet from Cefalu.  We walk along the beach and then up the hill.  It is Saturday night and the beach is still very busy.


We head up on the most touristy street.  It is cooler here than along the beach.  And also very crowded.  The streets in Old Town are cobblestone.  Some streets have larger flat stones - sometimes like a track for the wheels of a car on either side.  Everyone tries to walk on these.  I always let strollers, buggies and people with canes or wheelchairs have the right of way.  Other wise - you young folk - get out of my way.  There are still people older than me here - mostly locals - but not that many.

We stop at every tourist shop along the way.  There are a ton of different magnets.  But it is not until the very end of the shops that we find the perfect one.  It is made of all metal, with a slight raised design on it that is painted in bright colors.  These are practically unbreakable.  No more ceramic magnets for us.  We have an urn from Greece with only one handle.  The thick ceramic magnet from Amsterdam fell off the fridge into a million pieces almost immediately after we brought it home.  The magnets with a paper photo/picture glued on are damaged very quickly.  The ones with a small magnet glued on the back always fall apart.  So now you know everything you need to know to get the perfect holiday magnet!

We turned to go back home.  As we passed a small plaza filled with tables and chairs from a restaurant, I asked Michael if we wanted to take the stair up to the view point behind a church?  He had never been there - not even last year.  I think I stop here every time I go this way - it has fabulous views!




A view in the other direection.


We are not the only ones taking photos of the sunset here.


And we are serenaded by this accordion player.  We made a donation to him - so he gave us a smile!


As we walked along the beach, I asked Michael if he would like to go to our apartment the back way, through the parking lot?  He agreed and we headed up the ramp.  Once inside the building, Michael turned to lock the door from the inside.  It was already pretty dark inside.  I stepped forward through a door to call for the elevator - forgetting the tiny step down through the door.  I smashed down to the floor, twisting my foot as I did and landing with most of my weight on my right shoulder.



Normally my right foot is much smaller than the left - not now!  I also have a very sore right shoulder and bicep muscle as well as sore ribs and something other muscle pulled in my lower abdomen on my right side.  Ugh!  

I should be done with injuries as they usually come in threes.  Besides hitting my head on the tree I also smashed my left little toe into the bed post while trying to open my shades in my bedroom in the dark. Hopefully I will have learned my lesson - and always turn on the lights.

And know I will be forced to rest!  The instruction to heal from this injury are rest, elevated foot and ibuprofen to help the swelling go down.  How long will it take before I can get my shoes on again!  It says one to two weeks - I am praying for less.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear you are injured again. How disappointing, when you want to be out and about. Wishing you speedy healing!

    ReplyDelete