Saturday, May 19, 2018

Culinary Food Tour on Friday

One of the things we like to do in the different countries we visit is go on a food tour.  I have had Greek food in the US and don't really care for it.  There are too many foods that I don't like.  I can't have too much acidic food - I used to break out in hives eating tomatoes, strawberries and so on.  Greeks put tomatoes on everything.  They love yogurt - I hate it.  They love olives - I hate them.  They love coffee - I don't drink it.  You see the pattern. 

But I was willing to give it a try.  I do like spinach or cheese pies.


I have never liked yogurt.  I keep trying it every once in a while.  Tried it here - don't like it.  Only a few name brands in the US can call it Greek yogurt - most have to say Greek style yogurt. 

When our guide was growing up the bunny desert shown below was the prized desert.  No mother could resist buying it for her sons.

Our guide explaining the different dishes.


Street pretzels just like in the US.

The market was next.

They sell every part of the animal.  The stomach, intestines, etc.

It brought me back to my childhood.  Mom served heart and tongue on occasion - maybe when money was really low.

Each booth in the market is for a specific sort of meat.  This is pork.

This is for rabbit.  They leave the tail on. Apparently cats have the same bone structure - and some butchers were selling cats as rabbits.  The tail proves it is a rabbit.


At another shop - the owner is plating our samples.

This was pretty good.  Fried cheese, lamb patty, sausage, mild peppers.
 This is a mirror shot.  Looks straight on doesn't it?


This was a coffee shop.  I even tried it even though I don't drink coffee.  There are some grounds in the cup.  The copper container has more coffee.  You pore it into the cup, wait a few moments and then drink it.

Didn't realize until we were leaving - this was what they called "sand coffee".  The sand is very hot and is the final step of making the coffee.
                                     




After the market we passed by a Byzantine church - since there were only 3 on the tour and all wanted to tour the church - in we went.  The nun below was doing some cleaning - and kept hiding behind the tree.






Time to head home - this was another 5 hour tour. 

1 comment:

  1. well done for trying all that stuff. You never know!

    ReplyDelete