Monday, April 15, 2024

4-7 Best Soup Dumplings in the Neighborhood and mor

Sunday and Monday were quiet days for us.  Because of Covid and all the Chinese lockdowns, we are the first and last visitor to Shanghai for Lisa and Tim.  So many friends and relatives had planned to visit L&T in China - but eventually bowed out because it is quite hard to get here - and Covid made it doubly hard.  We spent a lot of money to get both our China and Ghana VISA's as both countries have you jumping through hoops to get them.  China only gives out ten year VISAs now - so that is what we have.  

Tim is eager to show us all his favorite eating places.  So Sunday between the rains, Lisa, Tim, Nicholas, Michael and I set off to tour and taste.  One of the first places we stopped at and sat down to eat was a soup dumpling place.

The dumplings were pre-shaped and waiting to be cooked.  The dumplings are made with some ground meat inside along with a few tablespoons of soup.  I have no idea how they are put together so the soup does now flow out.  She puts a bunch of them in a pan and cooks them in broth.

Pouring off the broth.

Dishing up the serving.

Yum!  The shell was thin, the bottom crisp and browned.  You poke a hole in the dumpling and suck out the soup first.  Then eat the rest.  The dumpling sits in a sauce of mostly soy sauce with a little vinegar.  

On Monday Michael and I took our first Didi (ride share app) in Shanghai - to a restaurant of Tim's choosing near the U.S. Consulate.  Lisa and Tim were able to walk there to meet us.  He wanted to share so many delicious dishes with us - that we ended up taking a lot of left-overs home with us.   




2 comments:

  1. ah I am so glad you guys were able to make it out there! I'm gutted we never did. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Tim and Lisa are delighted you came. It makes me really happy when I can show my family my home and life where I live.

    ReplyDelete