Monday, April 15, 2024

4-10 House of Roosevelt

 Lisa and Tim have arranged a Consulate dinner for this evening.  Lisa will be coming from the Consulate.  Tim, Michael and I take a Didi and arrive early so we can have a drink first.  Because of so much traffic, we don't have a lot of time.  But we walk to the Peace hotel bar.  This is a very beautiful building.  





After our drink we head for the House of Roosevelt.  We will be meeting the 2nd in command at the Shanghai Consulate and his wife.  We will also meet the Consul General of the Portugal Consulate along with her husband.  Both of these couples are very good friends with Tim and Lisa.  I did not take photos during the dinner as that seemed impolite and maybe not legal.  

The dinner was wonderful.  The courses were served on a lazy Susan in the middle of our very large table and came out whenever they were ready in no particular order.  I sat between Lisa and Michael and with the very large table I had to talk loudly to be heard by those across the table.  The conversation evolved to consulate level stuff and I just listened.   It was interesting listening to the conversation among the six of them.  They are all very high-powered people, very confident in their abilities.  I did not ask my husband how he felt.  I felt a little overwhelmed by all the power in the room.  My life in retirement is so laid back.  But it did remind me of when I was the controller of the accounting firm and I discovered that some people in the company were afraid of me!  Then I had power!

The House of Roosevelt is on the Bund (as well as the Peace Hotel) - just across from a fabulous view.  A few of us took photos from the windows of  our dining room..




After our meal we all headed up to the outdoor bar on the top of the building for these great views.  It was cold and very windy - so we did not stay too long!




You can walk along the river front - note the people  in this photo.  We did that the last time we were in Shanghai in 2016.  Maybe we will come back and do it again while we are still here.





I got these photos later - other folks took them - but they add to the memories>




Having a photo taken with the Chef at The House of Roosevelt.








2 comments:

  1. I love how open and honest you are sharing your feelings at the table. I think I would have felt that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a really memorable evening.

    ReplyDelete