Thursday, November 11, 2021

November 11 - Castiglione di Sicilia

 Today we are heading towards Castiglione di Sicilia which is one of the most beautiful mountain towns in Sicily, according to our guide book.  But, again it is a grey/white sky day.  And it will most likely rain.  But we want to see this - so off we go.  It is about 40 minutes away.  At first it is just gentle ups and downs and very slow drives through towns.  Then I look up and see the village - way, way above us.  So - you know what the roads will look like!  I wanted to take a video, but I have not done it with my phone before.  And before I can figure it out - we are there - and we find parking, just as it starts to rain.  We sit in the car, and Michael tells me stories of some drama that is going on in Ghana.

The rain lets up and we head up the hill.  but it is cold.  This is the first time I have gotten out my winter coat.  This high up - when you are in an open area - the winds can be nasty.  



I believe these are blood oranges.  This area is known for growing them.


Then we head up to the castle and take many village views.  We are both having a lot of fun.  It has not rained yet.








I think this is the first time I have taken a picture of laundry from above - it is different!






Small villages have many picturesque churches.  This could be Chiesa Madre, or San Pietro or Chiesa delle Benedettine - there were a lot of churches.



We were taking photos here when the bells in the bell tower on the right startled us by ringing very loudly.  It was 1pm.




So maybe that is what it was!




This village is very much built into the mountain.  The castle is at the top, but some buildings along the way seemed to be built into the rocks as well.








Then - on to the castle.  

You had to climb up these steep stairs/slope not sure what it was, but on loose rocks.  I did not feel safe.


The steps leading into the castle itself.



They had an exhibition of Medieval clothing.



Views from the castle down to the town.




I am very nervous about getting down those steps!



After we made it back down to the parking area we found a restaurant that was rated OK for the area.  It was very mediocre - but at least we were fed.  We then headed home.

I have figured out how to do videos on my phone so will try it on the way down the hill from Castiglione di Sicilia.



We were following a big semi truck for a good ways.  I have no idea how he made that big truck turn around those tiny curves.  Later we went through a town where we had to stop behind him many times because he could not make the corners - and then another truck came towards us.

So now all the videos are working - but the narrative is not quite attached to the right vidio.  Sorry I am a newbie at this.






2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't like those loose rocks either. Glad you were unscathed, both from loose rocks and pouring rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those stairs are nuts! The village looks super quaint

    ReplyDelete