Monday, April 30, 2018

Locked in an Israeli Saferoom!

Unfortunately I have come down with a miserable cold.  It started in Tel Aviv as a hacking cough and has only gotten worse.  Our apt in Jerusalem is 4 bedrooms - Alexis & Rob took the master with the room next door (two single beds) for the girls.  Mike and I took the room on the other side of the apt.  It also has a small bedroom next to it - with 1 single bed.  Since I tend to  cough for extended periods at a time, I decided to sleep in the small room so everyone else could get some sleep.  I went to bed early - shutting the door.  It was very heavy and hard to close.  The first couple of times I got up to go to the bathroom - drink water, spray cholorspectic on my throat - grab a roll of toilet paper for my continuous nose blowing - the door opened fine.  At 4:30 am I made another trip to the door.  I yanked and pulled, pushed, pounded, yelled, nothing happened - no one came.  Finally I called my husband on my phone, no answer.  30 minutes later, I texted him.  Another 30 minutes I called again.  I tried to sleep, but by now I can't breathe.  So I prop my pillows into the corner and try to sleep sitting up.  Just as I am dozing off around 6am, I hear someone struggling with the door.  Several minutes later, after many tries my husband managed to open the door.

We had noticed a similar room in our Airbnb in Tel Aviv.  We joked that it was the prison room.  I suspected that these two rooms were safe rooms.  I elected to stay in the apt today to see if I can recoup from this cold - and the rest went out sightseeing.  Our owner/manager stopped by around noon to drop off some things.  He confirmed that it was a "atomic room".  And said he would have warned us, but he thought we would not be using the room.  The room is built to protect those inside if a bomb hits the building.  There looks to be a window - but it is not.  I did some research.  These rooms are meant to be small as they are so expensive to build.  There should be nothing in the room that would fall - like bookcases or cabinets with things in it.  A lot of people have tried to make the room usable by turning it into a bedroom or sometimes a laundry room.


Trust me, I will not be closing that door again!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment