Friday, January 26, 2024

A museum and then rest needed

 By Monday night after our trip to Segovia, my left foot was loudly proclaiming that it had had enough.  I have been doing a lot more walking than I am used to and both my legs ache as well.  Tuesday we had planned a two hour visit to a Madrid history museum.  We are to meet with RM's Spanish practice buddy where he will tell us stories of Spain's history that he has research as his practice in English.  Usually RM meets him once a week at a cafe for two hours.  She has an hour to practice Spanish - and he corrects her and then he has an hour to practice his English which she corrects.  

RM and I took the metro to the Museum of Madrid History.  Ricardo was waiting for us in front of the museum.  We wandered through the first and second floors while he told us stories about Spain. This museum uses paintings and other art forms to tell the story of Spain.  I did not take my camera and only took a few shots with my phone.

Time for me to rest after our outing.  RM graciously offered to go grocery shopping for me.  She purchased some prepared lunches there which we had later.  

I spent the rest of the day sitting with my feet up.  Hopefully in a day or two I can be out and about again.  RM and I decided to make tomorrow, Thursday an easy day and take a taxi to a valor cafe for Churros and Chocolate.  

Alas - Thursday arrived with RM not feeling well.  Now she needs a day off.  Well she recuperated I decided to walk to the nearest Carrefour to pick up a few groceries.    Everything seemed to be working fine on my Google map app as I headed out the door.  About 1/2  or less of the ways there - my phone informed me that it could no longer find wifi and therefore it would not show me any grocery stores.   All the restaurants were still visible on the map - but no grocery stores. I could not get it to change to cellular data at all.  I texted RM to see if she could help me - but she had fallen asleep.  

Luckily I had been paying attention and knew my way back to the apt.  I stopped at a small corner store and picked up some Cheetos and a packet of ready made paella.  Both were a bust.  I had forgotten that Cheetos never tastes the same in other countries.  I don't think Spaniards like to get their hands all orange, so while the sticks are orange they are not very cheesy.  They are more like cheese sticks and definitely don't melt in your mouth.  The paella was very forgettable.  But I did have some dinner.  

I still have four days left in Madrid.  I am counting on those as all being good days.


3 comments:

  1. LOL this is getting deep into the culture - Spanish Cheetos. Rob also is constantly looking for "the right" Cheetos. They may be in the UK but I'm not totally convinced.

    I'm sorry you were both not feeling well but hopefully you're now recovering and ready to make a triumph after you get your power back on of the last few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole issue with you not getting phone reception and phone data is very disturbing. It is something we need to check on when we get home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although you didn't like the Spanish Cheetos, I bet they will make you appreciate the American ones next time you have them!

    ReplyDelete